Thursday, January 10, 2013

Getting better.

The forecast was a little better today.  Not crazy hot.  Better lift.  Light winds but still blue and base is still at 5500'.  The task committee decided on a short 130km task given the low base.  As it turns out pilots got to over 7000' and over 70 made goal.

I got a bit of grief today for staging in the wrong line.  I moved from the back of one line to the back of the other.  My entire team was at the back of the other line so it was just a pain in the ass to be on the other side with no one to help me.  Corinna didn't want to battle the huge gaggle for an hour and forty minutes so she came to the back of the line.  I was towed into a light thermal and after a minute or so the pilots towed about the same time as me came and joined me to find the better part of the lift.  I was with Jamie, Corinna, Tyler and most of the Guatemala team.  Corinna left us right away and the rest of us headed out together.  Pilots dropped of until it was me Tyler and Jamie.  Then just Jamie and I until the first turn point when she skied out above me and I spent most of the rest of the flight by myself.  I was trying mostly to just stay off the ground which meant I wasn't going very fast or making really good choices.  After landing after only two thermals the first two day's I was happy to be in the air for over four hours today.  Another day like this and I will be ready to start working on going faster.  Landed 35km short of goal.

3 comments:

Bev said...

Way to go Rob! Nice to see conditions improving. Been watching your fights and sending lots of positive energy your way. Go team Canada :)

Bev

Bev said...

Flights. Not fights. You're not fighting are you? Sorry - sleepy typing fingers...

Anonymous said...

G'day mate, ..... That's better Rob, Fly our flag with respect and keep the tank full and your foot off the gas. Ahhh, just have fun and cheers. Ross