Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Using the force.

Forecast was really good for today.  Forecast for clouds for the first time this comp.  Pilots have been complaining too many pilots have been making goal and the tasks have been too easy.  So today's task was 270km box back to Forbes.  I had a weak link break while the tug was trying to thermal with me.  I got a good climb to 7000' plenty early enough to make it to the edge of the start circle for the first start.  I went to the edge of the start with 3 other pilots and had to go out side the 30km start circle to get to cloud base.  We got high just as the time ticked over and I ran back 1km to get a start and headed out on course.  I ended up with one other pilot and was really happy to be with him.  We were going fast and he was getting very poor glides.  Every thermal I would arrive at least 500' higher than him.  I made a mistake stopping for a climb he missed and lost track of him.  On my next glide I ended up low and alone.  Finally getting high again I was back on track.  After rounding the first turn point I lost power to my instrument.  I climbed as high as I dare with out knowing how high I was as the cloud suck was strong if you got too close.  I would turn on my instrument once in a while to make sure I was heading to the turn point and get some track log points.  With such a long task I was getting tired and losing my motivation.  A couple pilots had caught up to me but I just wasn't interest in flying any more and picked out a place to land.  I made it about half way around the course but was not happy with my instrument going dead.  I put all new battery's in it before I flew.  Last time I buy what ever the store has.  Last day tomorrow.

No comments: